There are several reasons why communities should begin to make investments in telecommunications:
- Create a competitive marketplace.
- Attract private investment that will offer necessary telecom services to residents and businesses.
- Reduce data and telecom costs for all in the community.
- Business and government save tax dollars by pooling demand and then spending less on telecom services.
- Reduce overbuilding and redundant facilities (We don’t have 2 and 3 roads to each home).
- Conserve scarce resources (roads, easements, and rights of way).
- Create local markets for new services (creating jobs and increasing tax revenue).